My Bug

May I brag about my son???

His meeting with the neurologist, where he couldn't read the first letter of the first word she asked him to read was less than two weeks ago. The following day he had speech ... his teacher was disappointed that he didn't know his address or telephone number.

Well, they should see him now!

He now knows his phone number and address by heart, and is learning my work number.

I picked up a hundreds number chart and he immediately learned to count to 100. AND count to 100 by 10's. And count to 100 by 5's.

Woo hoo!

And do you see him reading? Yes, he's beginning to read! It's early in the reading game, but we're in the game now. These pictures are of him reading Bob books to me. Yes, he sounds out almost every sound of every word, but he's remembering most of the sounds, which, just a week ago, wasn't happening.

The Bob books, while wonderful and have been great for all my kids, were not the turning point for him. It was this book, Storybook Treasury of Dick and Jane and Friends. I bought it for him, but also because I love the pictures and have some of these Michael Miller fabrics, and thought perhaps I could do something with scanned pictures from the book. The book is so perfect for him ... lots of repetition, which really caters to his need to understand that some words can and should be memorized. The stories are really, really short and simple, really great for building his confidence ... how cool is when you can suddenly read a WHOLE story?

What's most exciting about all this is that he wants to do it. All of a sudden he brings me a book and wants to read it, or he'll be in the car and just start counting. Over the last few months we've seen his interest in math and pre-reading growing, but he still considered himself a non-reader ... no more.

I'll be the first to admit that I was incredibly frustrated with his learning just a week ago. I just didn't know what to do for him. But really, we've done very little. All of this is him and I'm so proud of him I could burst. Believe me, there's been a lot of happy dancing going on at our house!

Good job A.!

You Might Also Like

2 Comment

  1. Isn't it amazing how kids (and adults) can do just about anything when they put their mind to it!

    Congrats A. Keep up the fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That`s so good news! I`m happy for him and for you!
    You know, once he started, he will probably not stop before he has read all the books you have in the house :))

    ReplyDelete