Child's Play Quilt

Another one finished.

Child Quilt with Backside and Binding

Child QuiltThis small quilt (about 40" by 43") is a disappearing nine-patch, a modified version of this one. These quilts are so easy and the layout possibilities are almost endless, though I much prefer letting it be random. I've seen some absolutely wonderful carefully laid-out ones, and have filed that possibility away for a later date, but for now I'm just a random kind of gal.

I'd forgotten how many of these I've done before ... there's this one, this one, and even this one ... hmm... I may need more variety in my life!

The fabrics are all ones I had on hand. I'd hoped to use more childish ones, like the dogs and Child Quilt Quilting Detailducks, but didn't have enough in the colors I wanted to use so the florals got mixed in. I think it's still ok for a boy, but it does have noticeable flowers so that may nix that for many people. The binding is a blue floral, and the backside is white bees on a yellow background. The top-stitching is done in yellow thread and is a funky pattern the sewing machine had built in. If you enlarge the image to the right it'll show better.

I. strolled into the house and announced that this quilt looks like corn chowder. I would love to be a fly on the wall if the boy ever takes a Rorschach test. I was thinking more classic childish charm and I'm not yet seeing the corn chowder, but I'm going to keep looking.
Child Quilt
At about 1:00 am the other morning I was quilting this and decided to take a tiny little break to rest my back. Just to make sure the quilt was comfy enough I gave it a test run and set it on the floor, still full of safety pins, and rested upon it. Within seconds I was sound asleep. Jason came home and woke me up, commenting that I was sleeping on pins ... but I was just resting ... two hours after deciding to take that tiny little break. I think I need one of those "tested and passed, inspector #XX" stickers for this quilt, because it certainly passed with flying colors.

Creative Little Daisy is participating in a dinner challenge and posted this Chicken Parmigiana post the other day. It looks so yummy and easy. I decided instead to try Eggplant Parmesan, because C. has decided to become a vegetarian (do all teenagers do this?), and followed this recipe. Never in my life had I cooked eggplant before, and only once have I eaten it so I had no idea what I was doing, or how it would taste, but it was easy ... and good! I followed the recipe but divided it into two 9x13 pans, freezing one for next week. It was hit or miss with the kids - 3 for and 2 opposed. Tomorrow is tofu, which I have never cooked or eaten and I'm not sure I want to start now ... pray for us.

You Might Also Like

2 Comment

  1. Every time you post a quilt, it's my favorite! Until you post the next one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! I love the D9P block too, so simple but so many stunning possibilites! You just can't help but make it a few times. :)

    ReplyDelete