Roses

This is the fourth finished quilt from my collection of quilt tops.

roses quilt

I learned so much making this sweet quilt.

roses quilt detail

First I was reading isew.biz's blog post about her presser feet and it dawned on me that perhaps it's time I learned how to work my new machine, since I have many presser feet that I've never used because I have no idea what I'd use them for. I called the sewing machine store to get into the class for the machine ... since I no longer have my store it should now be a piece of cake to schedule the class, right? They only offer it once a month and the earliest I can take it, because of commitments, is October. Geez ... and I thought I was slowing down.

roses quilt

In the meantime, can you see the free motion quilting on this quilt? I did that. When I bought my machine I got this thing for free, the Pfaff Fabric Mover with Stitch Regulator, that's supposed to make free motion quilting a breeze. As I've mentioned before I stink at free motion quilting ... so much so that I swore I'd never ever do it again. But this pretty quilt was just calling for a stippled design, straight lines seemed too harsh for her. For some reason, after the post on presser feet I felt motivated to figure the thing out. I'd tried it once before and didn't like it much. But I. and I sat down and watched the included video, I practiced a lot on scraps of fabric, and I thought I'd give it a shot. It really does regulate the stitches as long as the fabric isn't moved too fast. The thing took some getting used to and even after finishing the quilting I felt I was just getting the hang of it, but it sure did make things easier. And now I can do basic free motion quilting.

roses quilt

As I was finishing the quilting and getting ready to do the binding I came across this post and loved, loved, loved the look of the wavy edges. I begged my oldest daughter (who just finished geometry) and my husband to make a templete for me. And they both ran the other way. I made my own out of an old cutting mat, utilizing a large bowl, a plate, and the biggest pot I could find. And, after a bit of trial and error, it worked. In the future I believe I'll make the corners a bit larger, they got a little funky when I sewed the backside of the binding. Overall, I'm really pleased with the results.

roses quilt backside and binding

The backside is three pieces of fabric also used in the frontside. The quilt measures about 40" by 48". (The colors in the top image are the most accurate.)

roses quilt backside

You Might Also Like

9 Comment

  1. Great job on the quilt! It's very sweet. I saw that great post over at Celebrate Creativity as well and thought it might actually be worth the trouble to do. Nice to see someone get it to work out so well on the first try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful!! Great job on the quilting! I loved that post on scallop edges too - yours turned out really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its lovely Jody! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful. You continue to top yourself. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jody,

    Just when I think I couldn't adore your work any more you go and do something like this. I practically got tears in my eyes looking at this beauty!! The fabrics are so, so lovely...

    LOVE the quilting and the wavy binding!! It's just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a swap that may interest you- very talented people
    http://miniaturebootyswap.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just a lovely quilt. So feminine and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my how beautiful. I'm just taken back by the simplicity but the beauty of the blocks offset by white. White is such a unsung hero in quilts I think. Especially with the classic roses and setting off the different colors. I just adore this. I may make one like it myself I love it so much. Thanks for showing it. Of course the edges are such a great way to finish it off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiul! Love the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete