A Man Emerging

Every once in a while I am caught off guard.  I spend all day, every day with my kids.  I know them better than anyone.  I've memorized their faces and their personalities. I usually know what they'll say next and who's doing what to whom in the other room.  Yet, sometimes, out of the blue, I see something in them I haven't seen before, or didn't see emerging because it was happening gradually, and it blows me away.

Tonight it was Adam.  He's 9. He's really cute. When he and Kaden were babies they were "the littles" and, while that title faded into the distance years ago, the notion that they are the young ones hasn't.

This evening Adam volunteered to do most of the cookie making, from hand washing the dishes to mixing to grating the lemon.  And as he was putting the rounded teaspoons of batter onto a cookie sheet I caught a glimpse of him out of the corner of my eye.


And it stopped me in my tracks. And I didn't see a "little".  I saw a guy, a responsible young man, a boy who would, before too long, join his older brother in the world of changing voices (which totally stops me in my tracks), changing priorities, and changing emotions.

I can't really put into words how my heart feels seeing this "guy" in my house. But it's good, it's really, really full-of-love and pride and awesomeness and joy good.

You Might Also Like

1 Comment

  1. How sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. Sounds like you've done a great job there, mama!

    ReplyDelete